Re: Who's out there from the circle days

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]

Posted by Marty Stark on January 11, 1999 at 23:18:35:

In Reply to: Who's out there from the circle days posted by Terry Haber Landa on January 04, 1999 at 03:24:26:

: Just wondering who out there remembers the circle days. And what are you doing now?

: My last posting was unsuccessful, so I'll try again. I think Terry Haber lived in my building at 185 Wortman Ave, which was one of the 14 story buildings.. The circle there was quite lively, until about 1962, when the kids got a little older and started to find other hangouts at other "circles", buildings, etc. It wasn't one of the "in" spots, but there was usually someone to hang out with. I'm not sure which circle Terry is referring to, since there were several of them in the projects. I recall hanging out on the wooden benches, in and around the 185 Wortman Ave Circle, which was actually shaped more like a peanut. There were usually several transistor radios blaring at the same time, but no one seemed to mind. I remember the maze at one end, the two logs at the other, and the turtle where we played "king on the mountain". And of course, the skelley court where we competed against each other with weighted soda bottle caps. There were cement steps next to the turtle. There was punchball, stickball, ringalivio (did I spell that right?), and johnny on the pony. The basketball courts were just a few hundred feet away. We made up our own games, and always found a way to entertain ourselves. And there was always someone to play with, or be with.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]