cookie issue

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]

Posted by pam/webmaster on October 23, 1998 at 20:11:47:

In Reply to: Re: IMPORTANT: UPDATE ON NEW MESSAGING CENTER posted by Michele Shipp on October 23, 1998 at 19:50:59:

cookies are what enable websites to keep track of you when you return again and again. Many people might --legitimately-- consider them an invasion of privacy. BUT they also allow the web to work on your own computer in a personalized way. So, for instance, the cookie that Amazon.com has set on me means I do not need to enter my credit card number or address each time I order a book --I just order and Amazon recognizes by browswer by the cookie it has installed there.

One way to get around this --if you care at all-- is to set your browswer so that you can decide whether or not a cookie is allowed each time. THEN you would be asked the question--do you allow a cookie now, or something like that.

You could also decide never to allow cookies and participate through the email option.

As to me, I allow cookies for my own ease of use of the Internet, and do not feel that there is any particularly dangerous information anyone could gather about me by virtue of knowing where I have been on the web.

Your browser should be automatically set for cookies, and probably, you already have tons of them if you surf the internet.

BUT there are some people who deliberately override the cookie default in their browser, and the point
about cookies was for them. Dan --are you going to let those cookies in now??

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]