Re: Battle of the Bands at the Y

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]

Posted by Allen Freed on October 29, 1998 at 19:06:48:

In Reply to: Battle of the Bands at the Y posted by Bernard on October 21, 1998 at 21:30:29:

: Does anyone else remember a battle of the bands most likely in 1968? It seems that Ralphie Meatball had a band ( which included a kid named PeeWee ). Mitchell Bailen's band also played . It seems Ralphie had this custom at the battles of the band at which he would peruse the opposing band's equipment and "borrow" the cream of the crop. He took a liking to my Vox amp and decided to "borrow" it. Now it seems that I (who had not really hung out much in the neighborhood) didn't really know what this guy was about and I didn't let him borrow it. He sneered at me and walked away. Guess I was lucky.
: Anyway, at the conclusion of the battle it seems that Mr Meatball appointed himself the counter of ballots and his band won.

I was lucky enough to actually be in one of Ralphies bands. Most of my guitar time was spent as part of the Night Riders with Sandy Napel and Wayne Richman, but occassionally found myself sitting in with Ralphie (it was impolite to refuse him)and I think Arthur Setter (Worm), but I'm not sure. Those days were a little on the fuzzy side and I don't remember much. Pee Wee was Paul Weiner. Howie Stein (Jeff's brother) and Lenny Dinkins were in a very popular band, and were very good, but Ralph usually had an edge in the competition. BTW, his formal name was Rotten Ralphie Meatball and his dad owned the pizza place on Van Siclen.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]