Re: segregation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]

Posted by pam weintraub/webmaster on November 05, 1998 at 10:08:41:

In Reply to: Re: segragation posted by pam weintraub/webmaster on November 04, 1998 at 12:42:28:

well, what Gary is saying is true, too. You see, the new boards have enormous capacity, more than we will ever need. We can, for instance, have 9 chat rooms running simultaneously 24/7.
We can have up to nine separate conferences with endless threads, and we can expand and collapse these threads. We can click on "more" in the black upper nav bar to see who's online AT THEN MOMENT,
and chat spontenously. It has enormous power. And it's private.

We can remove anyone who harrasses us, anyone who does not belong. AND the other boards
are protected from the web spiders that go around archiving everything.

They are more complex, but they are state-of-the-art, and once we get used to them, and
adjust to accommodate some of these issues, they will enable far more longevity and activity
in this community.

I still DO agree with Sandy though, and I've created the general
discussion board. The idea is to split off into smaller groups or have a general discussion, whatever you want.

Pam

: Sandy, this was not the intent, but you are right, this seems to be the direction. We still need to use the other boards because the current system would collapse under its own weight, eventually. And because it does not provide ultimate privacy. BUT we need to address the issue you bring up, it is very important.

: What do you think of the idea of creating another board, called "General Discussion" inside the main board area, and telling people to just list themselves under building but have actual discussions in the other spot?

: BTW, you can always see all new messages just by clicking on "more" and then on new messages or today's messages.

: Please respond --Sandy and everyone else so that we can correct this "segregating" state of affairs.

: Pam

:
: : the new message board is great. i get to communicate with people from my building and the row houses.
: : but because there are so many buildings, we now miss discussions, topics and people we would have noticed on the original boards.
: : if someone i hung with gets on 270 wortman, i'd probably never know it.on the original message board, i would have seen it!
: : the web site is getting 'clicky', instead of one, big, happy, neighborhood... i'm i off base??
: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]