Re: TEACHERS-PS190

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]

Posted by Felice Yurkiewicz Balsam on November 11, 1998 at 13:38:15:

In Reply to: TEACHERS-PS190 posted by Harry Stein on November 02, 1998 at 14:57:59:

Harry,

I don't think I know you, even though we shared some of the same teachers. You were a couple of years ahead of me in 190, since I went from 1959/60 - 66.

KIndergarten: Miss Zwerling and Mrs. Grabowski
1st Grade: Mrs. Stone
2nd Grade: Miss Rosenheck
3rd Grade: Mrs. Gross
4th Grade: Mrs. Berlowitz
5th Grade: Mrs Scherer (formerly Miss Myerson)
6th Grade: Mr. Sokolow

Guess there really were two teachers at 190 with similar names, a Miss Rosenheck and a Rosenquit (Pam, you were right!). Harry remembers correctly, it was Rosenheck who introduced us to exotic (for those days) fruits like mangoes and avocadoes -- we planted the pits and grew them in class. She was very thin and a vegetarian -- that's right! Walked with a limp due to polio she had had as a child. Barbara Shrager and I tried tracking her down over the years in order to thank her (belatedly) for being such a ppowerful influence on our writing careers. Sad to say she passed away some ten years ago. She never got involved with school plant sales -- that would have been Rosenquit, I guess.
But Mr. Sokolow is very much alive and well-- it was a very special thrill to find him and have him attend our evening reunion last March. Amazingly he remembered everyone and every anecdote! He left teaching permanently the year after we left 190 and were transferred to 306 -- says we spoiled him for any other class. But playing policeman to the kids that followed us was not his style, and so he made music his main career, both here and in Europe. Played with Itzhak Perlman and his Klezmer group, too.

I'd be curious to hear your memories, Harry, of why you thought him a great man. We all did, too --and we only had him a a 6th grade teacher for 4 months! To think that he still had this impact on all of us some 30 years later when he actually taught us for such a short period of time is truly something remarkable.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]