Re: TEACHERS-PS190

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]

Posted by Felice Yurkiewicz on November 30, 1998 at 13:06:02:

In Reply to: Re: TEACHERS-PS190 posted by Jeff Wilensky on November 27, 1998 at 19:19:40:

Hi, Jeff!

I can't stop laughing, I hadn't thought of that horrible hat of Ingber's in all these years! Yes, you're right -- unlike probably every other public school in Brooklyn at that time, PS 190 would denote the alleged "IGC" classes by double-numbers starting with second grade, i.e., 2-2,
3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6. I never had Ingber as a teacher, but Mrs. Stokes -- another certifiable battle ax! -- used to sub for us in 6th grade when Mr. Sokolow was absent or tending to band matters. Ingber came with us to the newly opened 306 that December, and directed our 6th grade production of "Fiddler on the Roof." The production was predictably amateurish, with none of the flair that we later came to appreciate as a hallmark of Miss Olanoff's Gershwin shows. Still, Ingber had the foresight to cast Michael Goldfinger as Tevye in his musicial and acting debut. I still remember she had the audacity to wear short-sleeved dresses and she had these massive slabs of flesh hanging underneath her forearms that would flap rhythmically back and forth as she "conducted" the kids in song. And is it true that Ingber penned the god-awful lyrics to what was to become PS 306's school song? (PS 306 was aka The Ethan Allen School, named because -- get this -- the school was located on Vermont Street and Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys hailed from Vermont!)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The East New York Projects Message Board ]